The Board of Directors of The Groove Fund recently announced the award of eight (8) undergraduate scholarships totaling $5,000 to students who are scheduled to attend four-year colleges in the fall of 2013.
The scholarship recipients include:
- $750 to Alexander Davis, a freshman at UNC Charlotte
- $750 to Yanick Spencer, a freshman at Penn State Universit
- $750 to Xavier Chalmers, a freshman at Rutgers University
- $750 to Amber Robinson, sophomore at North Carolina Central University
- $500 to Brianna Wiggins, junior at Frostburg State University*
- $500 to Brianna Darden, sophomore at Temple University
- $500 to Demosthany Gregory, a freshman at Texas Christian University
- $500 to Kevin West, sophomore at Morgan State University*
Formal presentations to the 2013 awardees will be scheduled over the months of August and September. The Groove Fund is seeking the participation of local Groove Phi Groove chapters in these presentations whenever possible. Please contact Fellowman Mike Haskins at firstname.lastname@example.org if you or your chapter is interested in recognizing the awardees.
The primary focus of The Groove Fund is to provide academic scholarship awards to college students who plan to pursue undergraduate and graduate degrees. The Groove Fund places particular emphasis on young black men but does not discriminate against other applicants based upon race, gender, religion, or ethnic background. The scholarship awards are based on the availability of funding, academic performance, and unmet financial need.
* Recurring Scholarship Award